Racine County

The Racine County Alternatives Program (RCAP) provides pretrial risk assessments and pretrial supervision to the criminal courts of Racine County.

Racine County Alternatives Program
Contact Information

Primary Contact:

Tonya King
Email Tonya


717 Wisconsin Ave
Law Enforcement Center, Room MC340
Racine, WI 53403



Newly arrested defendants are interviewed and assessed for pretrial risk. The information and recommendations are reported to the Court prior to the initial appearance to assist the Court in evaluating a Defendants risk for pretrial misconduct.  RCAP also provides pretrial supervision to those defendants referred by the Courts.  Case managers monitor conditions of release, which can include alcohol/drug testing and electronic monitoring.  In addition to monitoring Court-ordered conditions, case managers may assist defendants in an effort to reduce pretrial misconduct.  RCAP case managers make referrals to community resources, alcohol/drug treatment, or mental health treatment; as well as provide assistance in addressing other needs that may be identified.

General Information

How To Prepare For Your Court Appearance

  • Know your court date, time, and location
  • Request off work if needed
  • Know where to park or ensure you have transportation
  • Arrive at least 30 minutes early (give yourself enough time to get through Security)
  • Be prepared for Security Screening (leave all weapons at home)
  • Dress appropriately
  • Bring any applicable paperwork
  • Ensure you have child care
  • Court Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is my attorney?

Who can I contact if I have questions about billing or about an invoice I received?

  • Call 262-638-6448

Where should I park at the LEC?

  • Metered parking: 4 hour and 2 hour meters around the LEC and Courthouse (Wisconsin Ave., 8th St, Washington Ave.)

  • McMynn Parking garage: Pay by the hour, 120 7th Street (corner of 7th and Main)

I need to contact the Clerk’s office. Who do I call? Where is it located?

  • The phone number to the clerk’s office is 262-636-3333 (you must have your case number ready when you call).

  • The misdemeanor/traffic clerk is located on the main floor of the LEC.

  • The felony clerk is located on the lower level of the LEC. Feel free to stop by RCAP to ask for direction to the clerks office.

Once the Court has ordered RCAP, when do I need to enroll?

  • Per your bond conditions you must report immediately after you are released from custody. For example: If you are released on a Monday night, you must report the next day (Tuesday). If you are not in custody and are instead referred at your initial appearance (first court date), you must report to RCAP immediately after you sign your bond/appear in Court, that same day by 4:30pm. Please keep in mind that the Court will know when you are released/referred and when you report to enroll.

How often do I need to report to RCAP?

  • Each case is different, but everyone is required, at the very least, to report to RCAP on their court dates. Please refer to the paperwork you signed at enrollment for how often you need to report.

  • Keep in mind that all RCAP clients are subject to random testing. For this reason, it is important to make sure that RCAP has your correct phone number.

Where is the 24-hour alcohol testing kiosk? How much is each test?

  • The kiosk is located in the 24-hour entrance to the jail on 8th Street. These are the same doors where you pay bond or put money on an inmate’s books.  If RCAP staff have assigned you to the kiosk, your pin number is your month and day of birth (4 numbers). Your testing group name is JusticePoint/RCAP.

  • The cost per test is $3.

Where is my Courtroom?

  • Branch 1: Honorable Judge Laufenberg – Lower Level LEC

  • Branch 4: Honorable Judge Nielsen – 2nd Floor Courthouse (730 Wisconsin Ave)

  • Branch 3: Honorable Judge Martinez – Main Level LEC (north wall)

  • Branch 9: Honorable Judge Repischak – Lower Level LEC

  • Branch 10: Honorable Judge Boyle – Main Level LEC (west wall)

I am on electronic monitoring (GPS or SCRAM) and experiencing an issue but the RCAP office is closed. What should I do?

  • Call your assigned Case Manager immediately and leave a voicemail, even if it is the weekend or after hours. If the issue involves an equipment malfunction, you must report to the RCAP office at 8 a.m. the next business day.

  • If you are experiencing a medical emergency, dial 911 or report to a medical facility. If medical professionals have to remove the bracelet, request documentation of the removal.  As long as documentation is received by RCAP and the equipment is returned, you will not be charged if the bracelet has to be removed for medical purposes.